Friday, May 11, 2012

a collision of moments

At one particular moment, I find myself struggling with burdens, issues and stresses that I think are specific to me and my situation.  In these moments, I feel like I'm the only one in the world with this these struggles.  I'm alone.  In these moments, even God feels a million miles away.  "Where are you Lord?"  "I need you."

   "Nobody can understand what I'm dealing with."
   "If only people knew the storm that was building in my mind."
   "Something must be wrong, this is far too uncomfortable."

In another particular moment, I find myself talking to a dear friend.  Before I get the chance to vomit all my frustrations, he vomits his.  And the amazing thing is, he's been here before.  He's been where I am.  He's experienced these things and it's made him stronger.  Together, we realize that our struggles bring a certain vibrancy to the meaning of the Apostle Paul's words when he says:

God said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong.

As these two moments collided, I realize the beautiful friendships God continues to give me.  I realize that God is placing wise people in my life who have "been there, done that."  I realize these experiences aren't specific to me.

I'm thankful for friends, guides, and counselors.
May my "youngness" learn to value my friend's life experiences.

Thank you, friends.
Thank you, Lord.

No comments: