Saturday, April 21, 2012

spinning on a beautiful day

If I was honest with you, I'd tell you that there are days I let "things" get to me.

I'd tell you:
    that things aren't great,
    or I'm not a good dad, or husband,
    or that I'm too impatient,
    or how frustrated I can get with life,
    or how easy it is to look at life through a negative lens,
    …and I'm not even getting specific.

Today I went on a walk with my boys.  Calvin was taking a nap in the stroller and Jude was walking closely behind me.  It was a beautiful day.  The air was crisp, the grass and trees were exploding in their colors, and the birds were extra musical.  As I was admiring the beautiful day and the precious look of my baby's sleeping face, I turned around to see my other son, Jude, spinning in circles.  He loves to get dizzy, and when he's dizzy, he's dangerous.  The last thing I needed was to see him fall on the concrete and hurt himself.  I know how dangerous a dizzy Jude can be, I've seen it.  I firmly told him to stop, but he kept going.

And I wonder.  Why can't Jude be amused by the beauty of the day?  Why can't he simply take a walk and look at the trees?  Why is it that he has to start spinning and run the risk of getting hurt?  And furthermore, why won't he listen to me?

And it hits me…

I'm the one that's spinning.  Every time I focus on the negative, the things that aren't right, my frustrations, and what I'm not good at, I'm spinning.  And spinning is destructive - it can cloud a beautiful day.

It's interesting to note that the Bible addresses such things.  In a letter written by the Apostle Paul, he says, "…whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."

While we all find ourselves in the destructive pattern of negativity, may we be reminded of these words of scripture.  When our spinning becomes so intense that we feel like we're going to lose our balance, may we open our eyes to the beauty of the day.

The birds are singing to be heard.
The trees are waiting for you to acknowledge their colors.
The crisp air is trying to get your attention.

Stop spinning and look up.


It's a beautiful day!

No comments: