Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Better or Best

I don't always associate myself with the women of the Bible.  In fact, I never do.  There's something about relating with a feminine Biblical story that messes with a guys manhood.  Perhaps I'm insecure.  Regardless, why would I want to try and associate my story with a woman named Mary?

I'd rather associate my story with people like John the Baptist - a barbarian of a man who wore a mixture of leather and camel hair, ate grasshoppers and wild honey, and appeared out of the wilderness.

Or people like Paul - one of the fiercest advocates for Jesus.  A guy who had one of the most messed up pasts you could imagine.  A guy who spend a significant amount of time in prison.  A guy who was relentless for Jesus.


But Mary?


Because I want to be like her!  Does that sound weird?


As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said.  But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.  She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself?  Tell her to help me!"  "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."      ~Luke 10:38-42


So…as Martha was being hospitable, Mary was sitting and listening to Jesus.  This story is about the difference between better and best.  It's about the best kind of discipleship.


Why am I interested in Mary's story?  Because I want to be like her!  Unlike Mary, I find myself getting caught up in the same kind of thing Martha was doing.  I'm not cleaning the house or baking bread or making dinner (although my wife would love that) for Jesus; the kind of hospitality I'm participating in is a little different.  My focus is sadly confined in my attempt to work out Jesus' intellectual hospitality.  Instead of soaking in every word that comes from Jesus, I'm busy putting together proofs and trying to intellectualize the Christian faith.


Instead of listening to Jesus, I'm busy writing about the compatibility between evolution and the story of Adam and Eve.  Instead of listening to Jesus, I'm trying to figure out who's theology is more biblically accurate, Jacobus Arminius or John Calvin.  Instead of listening to Jesus, I'm busy doing intellectual dirty work as I attempt to preserve the idea of Biblical inerrancy.


If I'm not listening to Jesus, what am I doing?  I'm being like Martha.  In Martha's attempt to serve Jesus, she was called out due to her misguided priorities.  Jesus wanted Martha to hear and be changed by the wisdom of his words.   Martha wanted to foster the situation by complimenting it with perfect preparations (food, decorations, ethos,…).  Instead, Jesus would rather have Martha sit and listen like Mary.


I often wonder how many of us fail at listening to Jesus.  We can be so busy in the chaos of life that perhaps we never sit and listen (or read).  And I wonder how well we can follow Christ if we never listen to him.  If I'm always trying to be intellectually hospitable for Jesus and I never listen, how screwed up is that?  And for some of us, the Martha activities we participate in are different.  Some of us have busy families, activities, jobs, hobbies, ministries, high-maintenance friendships, and etc…


I've been challenged and I challenge you to hear from Jesus on a daily basis.


So before I rush to the flurry of daily activities ahead, I'm going to read some "red letters."  As Mary was complimented for her ability to simply listen, I invite you to listen as well.  Not just by reading the following quote, but by reading the Jesus of your Bible too.


Jesus said:
"Are you tired?  Worn out?  Burned out on religion?  Come to me.  Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest.  Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it.  Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.  I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.  Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."        ~Matthew 11:28-30    (The message)

No comments: