Monday, May 2, 2011

I Pledge Allegiance to…?


America has taken care of business.

After Ten Years…
Thousands of lives lost….
Billions of dollars….


We have finally found our revenge in the assassination of Osama Bin Laden.
The media captures thousands of people celebrating this time of victory for the United States.
Facebook status' rant and rave about the glory of it all.
We got him.
America has taken care of business.



As an American…
I'm proud that our forces have the capability of doing what they did. I'm thankful for the time and energy our troops have invested in the ideal of freedom. I hope the families who lost loved ones can find comfort and strength to continue on with integrity and virtue.



As a follower of Jesus…here are a couple things He said
- "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."
- "Forgive them, for they know not what they do." …was His response to those who tortured him.
Again and again, Jesus teaches "repentance for the forgiveness of sins."


As a Christian, I'm actually shocked to see other "religious" people celebrate over this whole thing. I wouldn't expect the first response a follower of Jesus to be celebration.


"I pledge allegiance to…?"

Allegiances...
Family?
Religion?
Country?
Political Party?
Friends?



What is our response to the assassination of Osama Bin Laden?
In a time such as this, where are we showing our allegiance to be?



The United States
or
The Kingdom of God



Jesus said in Matthew 7:16

"By their fruit you will recognize them."







1 comment:

Pam said...

You've captured exactly why I've kept my mouth shut about this whole debacle. It's such a catch-22! Well-written, Joel.