Thursday, April 28, 2011

picking up trash

This afternoon, I found myself picking up someone else's trash. It was a task that I had to get done, but half way through the task, I got a bad attitude.

"This isn't my job" was the thought that kept echoing in my mind.


In the middle of the job, something inside me wanted to tell all the people that ever picked up my trash that, "I am sorry!" I absolutely hate cleaning up after people, and in the same way, I know people hate cleaning up after me.

Being a somewhat messy person at times (and if you know me, this is funny), this triggers all sorts of thoughts. So here it is: "I apologize if you've ever had to clean up my trash. I also apologize if you ever find yourself cleaning up my trash in the future."



In the middle of this whole (picking up trash) job, I had a thought.



Most of the kids and people that come to the church I work in have had some sort of bad experience with the religion we call "Christianity." I hear these genres of thought all the time:

-Christians don't represent Christ
-Bad church experiences
-Condemnation
-"They're hypocrites"
-Hate
-Plastic (fake or showy) church
-Complacency
-Negativity
-and whatever else Jesus didn't mean for us to experience in his church.



Trash.



I know Christians who leave their trash all over the place.
I've done it.
You've done it.
Without the constant presence of God, we Christians are great at littering.

I actually know people who won't lay a foot inside of church because of the hurt or pain they've experienced from "church people."




Trash


A never ending mountain of trash.




Jesus even mentions something about people who consider themselves religious. Read the 23rd chapter in the book called Matthew.

Even in the 5th through 7th chapters of Matthew (what we call the Sermon on the Mount), Jesus is continually picking up people's trash.

[ "You have heard that it was said…, but I tell you…" ]

This seems to be Jesus' favorite trash picking line.



Sometimes I sit back and wonder what kinds of trash I leave laying around.
What sorts of negative stereotypes have I created or supported?



I think this is something that needs to be addressed. I think the world has seen enough hypocrisy. I think Christians should either step up to the plate and start following Christ, or stop calling themselves Christians altogether.

Harsh?

I think so. Read Matthew 23.



We Christians have a decision. We can strive to limit our trash by refocusing our hearts and minds on Jesus, or we can continue to be neither hot or cold (and see what Revelation 3:16 says about that one). We can allow the Spirit of God to overwhelm our hearts, or we can remain in our own silly ways.



Jesus continues to resound:




"Come, follow me."








No comments: